Charles H. Gibson (January 19, 1842-March 31, 1900) was a United States Senator from Maryland, serving from 1891-1897. He also served as a U.S. Congressman from 1885-1891.
Gibson was born near Centerville, Maryland and attended the Centerville Academy and the Archer School in Harford County. He graduated from Washington College in Chestertown, Maryland, engaged in the study law, and was admitted to the bar in 1864, commencing practice in Easton, Maryland.
President Andrew Johnson appointed Gibson as collector of internal revenue for the Maryland Eastern Shore district in 1867, but Gibson was not confirmed. He became auditor and commissioner in chancery in 1869 and resigned in 1870 to accept the appointment of Stateâ€™s attorney for Talbot County, Maryland, serving from 1871 until 1875.
Gibson was elected as a Democrat to the Forty-ninth, Fiftieth, and Fifty-first Congresses from the 1st Congressional district of Maryland, serving from March 4, 1885 until March 3, 1891, but was not a candidate for reelection in 1890. He was appointed and subsequently elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Ephraim King Wilson II, and served in that position from November 19, 1891 until March 3, 1897. As senator, Gibson served as chairman of the Committee on Manufactures (Fifty-third Congress).
After his service as U.S. senator, Gibson resumed the practice of law, and later died in Washington, D.C. in 1900. He is interred in Chesterfield Cemetery in his home town of Centerville.
This article incorporates facts obtained from the public domain Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
Preceded by: George W. Covington U.S. Congressman, Maryland's 1st District 1885 - 1891 Succeeded by: Henry Page Preceded by: Ephraim King Wilson II Class 3 U.S. Senator from Maryland 1891 - 1897 Succeeded by: George L. Wellington